Navigating the tax law can be complicated.

Your own tax filings don’t have to be.

Hiring a Certified Public Accountant as your professional tax accountant will take the stress and headaches out of your annual tax return filings.

We stay current on all the latest tax code additions and updates so you don’t have to. We will work closely with you to ensure you’re always in compliance with the tax laws and we will always do our best to keep the IRS attention away from our clients.

Whether you are employed or own a business, we can provide the guidance and support you need. Initial consultations are always free. You will have nothing to lose when you give us a call.

The Current Landscape

Bad tax preparers can cost you thousands, and there are thousands of poor quality tax preparers across the country. In our experience, we have new clients come to us with returns that are riddled with errors. Common mistakes include paying higher tax than you owe and obvious red flags that have attracted the attention of the Internal Revenue Service.

Check your tax professional’s credentials. There is no such credential as a “Certified Tax Preparer”. The IRS lists the Overview of Tax Return Preparer Requirements here.

Per the IRS, tax preparers come in three varieties

The Enrolled

Certified Public Accountants (CPAs), Enrolled Agents, and Attorneys have unlimited practice rights before the IRS. This means they are unrestricted as to which taxpayers they can represent, what types of tax matters they can handle, and which IRS offices they can represent clients before.

The Unenrolled

These preparers have limited practice rights. They may only represent clients whose returns they prepared and signed, but only before revenue agents, customer service representatives, and similar IRS employees, including the Taxpayer Advocate Service. They cannot represent clients whose returns they did not prepare and they cannot represent clients regarding appeals or collection issues even if they did prepare the return in question. Continuing education is generally not required. Unenrolled preparers simply need a PTIN and to certify that they are current on their taxes.

California law requires anyone who prepares tax returns for a fee within the State of California and is not a CPA, Enrolled agent, or attorney to register as a tax preparer with the California Tax Education Council (CTEC). These individuals need only 60 hours (a week and a half) of qualifying education to meet the educational requirements of preparing tax returns for compensation.

Tax Preparers outside the state of California may only need to pay a fee to the IRS and obtain a PTIN to prepare tax returns for compensation. You are submitting sensitive information to your tax preparer.  Be wary of preparers who are not committed to their profession and their clients.

The Unlawful

Any tax preparer who receives compensation for filing a tax return failing to obtain a PTIN.

Tax preparers in California who are not Certified Public Accountants, Enrolled agents, or attorneys and who have not registered with the California Tax Education Council are in violation of Section 22253 of the Business and Professions Code.

The CPA Difference

When you choose our firm as your tax preparer, you can rest assured that your work will be handled by a Certified Public Accountant.

As Certified Public Accountants who are members of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants:

  • We are here year round to fulfill any tax needs you may have
  • We will review your prior year returns for free
  • We promise timely service
  • We do not train new associates at your expense
  • We maintain your records for at least 7 years, so you will always have peace of mind if your return is needed, for say a loan application
  • We will always support our work if challenged by  the IRS

Give us a call to see what makes Eric S. Rabin, CPA different!